Wednesday, August 31, 2011
Since I last posted on WIP Wednesday, I finished the motifs for the Galaxy top and wove in all the ends. The next step is to cut off the top of a t shirt, fold over the top edges ¼ inch, and sew it with an overcast stitch using crochet thread. I wasn’t sure what the overcast stitch was so I looked it up online. It turns out it is pretty easy. I found out it is used lot to keep edges of knit material from unraveling. I was nervous to cut the shirt. I didn’t have any white t shirts. So, I went out and bought one. I was afraid I would mess up a new shirt. It turned out fine. I did I had to buy a new sewing needle. I didn’t have any that would work with crochet thread or was sharp enough. Now, I just need to finish stitching the edge, arrange the motifs and attach them to the shirt.
As far as my other projects, I have been making progress on this shawl. At first the pattern confused me a little. Once I got going, it is a fairly easy pattern. I started this pattern in the summer but it will end up being a fall pattern at the rate I am going. I have finished the front and back of Short and Sweet and have started on the body. It is crocheted from the top down, joined at the shoulders and crocheted in the round until it is long enough. I am enjoying this pattern a lot.
Monday, August 29, 2011
Wednesday, August 17, 2011
In the past couple of weeks, I started a new job. With the new job, I was suddenly a lot busier and more stressed out. As a result, I neglected my blog for a couple of weeks. In the past couple of weeks, I have made a big effort to finish the Galaxy Top. I started this project over a year ago. I didn’t work on it for months at a time. Lately, my goal was to crochet at least 3 motifs a day. The pattern calls for 60 circle motifs. I just have 3 more to go and I am done with that part. Next, I need to weave in all the ends (yikes), join the motifs together, and then attach to a white t shirt. At first, I wasn’t sure if I needed to leave the ends out or weave them in before I join them together. I decided to weave in the ends as I go. I hate weaving in ends. I am hoping to finish this top before the warm weather ends.
Another project I have been working on a lot is the Short and Sweet. I have finished the back. I have started on the front. I found the front part confusing. Fortunately, the designer and the website knithappens both offer additional help and a chart. I like the stitch pattern and yarn.